Sunday, November 3, 2013

psychology will save the world

"For one thing, I am not only the disinterested and impersonal seeker for pure cold truth for its own sake. I am also very definitely interested and concerned with man's fate, with his ends and goals and his future. I would like to help improve him and to better his prospects. I hope to help teach him how to be brotherly, cooperative, peaceful, courageous, and just. I think science is the best hope for achieving this, and of all the sciences, I consider psychology most important to this end. Indeed, I sometimes think that the world will either be saved by psychologists -- in the very broadest sense -- or else it will not be saved at all."

-- Abraham Maslow, Nebraska Symposium on Motivation, University of Nebraska, January 1955, cited in The Right to Be Human: A Biography of Abraham Maslow, Edward Hoffman, 1988, p. 207.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment